For many, documentation is an ugly word, and documentation portals are not perceived to be as sexy as media, sports, government or global not-for-profit websites. Documentation also doesn't get the massive budgets that marketing sites can commandeer. But for us, that is a feature and not a bug. We love documentation projects that is why we decided to build a developer portal distro in Drupal 8.
Building a multi-purpose developer portal distribution, spotting the common characteristics without over-specifying the requirements, is hard. Ultimately, our aim is to reduce the amount of customisation sites need and to create a great developer and documentation experience out-of-the-box.
This talk is a specialisation showcase, with examples from our own business. Through it we will explain:
- Why we decided to turn our generalist Drupal consultancy into a developer portal agency.
- Why we chose documentation
- How we are executing our specialisation strategy.
- When you should and when you shouldn't build a distro
- We'll also give you a sneakpeak of our Drupal 8 developer portal distro...
- Common patterns found on developer documentation portals
- What guidelines to follow when building landing pages with Paragraphs and our experience with defining the building blocks.
- How to set up API documentation in Drupal from various resources and how to manage the different types on the same interface.